Monday, April 10, 2006

The Tough Decision : It's IIT Bombay !!

" B-Schools are like Girl Friends. Once you get selected in that cherished institute of yours, the place of your dreams, It suddenly loses its charm and seems very normal. Your heart laments for those you have lost or those others which you start feeling would have been better. "
- A wise MBA aspirant.

For the past coupla weeks, my thoughts have been swinging like a pendulum over the powai lake. I have been deeply confused as to what to choose between the two almost similar institutes. My managerial skills have been put to test throughout the selection process, but I never thought that my decision taking abilities would be put to a much severe test after the selection.

I read each and everything that is remotely connected to either of the two institutes. I scoured the Net for any tiny bit of information that would help me in making an informed choice. I spoke to the students of these institutes and other B-Schools, to the Counsellors at coaching institutes, other MBA aspirants and all others those who could impart some gaan. I examined placements, course, batchsize, infrastructure and all other parameters that could make a difference during the MBA course.

And I was lost. Different perspectives, different preferences and different rankings...but I couldn't come up with any single strong reason to prefer either of them over the other. After much deliberation, I concluded that whatever be my decision, It couldn't be wrong. It will not have any significant impact on my career.

So, as I feared, It has finally come down to a toss!!

Then I made up my mind, It's SJM SOM, IIT Bombay. The reasons if you ask me, are that it provides better oppurtunities to learn, the brand name of IIT, smaller batch size and hence more choice when it comes to placements.

I know, these are not convincing enough. My real motivation has to be something more concrete!! So after a little deep diving and soul searching, I found that maybe I didn't want to risk 70K in NITIE, in case I get thru IIMB. Since there aren't any other strong differences between the two, why not go for IITB, after the IIM results are out. I could save some BIG bucks, If at all I make to IIMB. Though the chances are bleak, there wouldn't be any guilty conscience if it happens..

So, that's it, End of the Story. Matter settled !! I am going to the Only Place to 'B' - whether it is IIM or IIT :-)

1 Comments:

Blogger ప్రదీపు said...

Good thinking, saved 70K, and got yourself into an "Indian Institute of x"

8:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home