Saturday, March 25, 2006

Rendezvous with the Red tape

Recently I required a Police Clearence Certificate(PCC). And upon inquiry, I found that it can be obtained from the Passport Office. I knew I was in for some real trouble.

Passport Office is one of the worst manifestations of Indian Bureaucracy. Long Queues, exorbitant delays, annoying clerks, irritating middlemen and bundles & bundles of paper work. This is one govt. department where the working days are few and working hours even shorter.

Generally, PCC is issued within two days if the passport holder resides within the territory of the passport office. No verification, No checks. But for the Outstation candidates, there is a longwinding process, as long as that of the new passport issue. Ignorant of this funda, I had applied as an out station candidate and ended up in a maze of procedures, documents and bull shit.

It started innocously one fine morning, when I woke up early and made it to the passport office by 8.30 AM. The clerk filled a few forms and asked me to get the Residence Proof. Ooops!! Plodded back home, went to the bank, and after an hour's wait, finally got my Bank Statement. The next day, after a long, boring wait again at the passport office, submitted the application. I was told that I would get my passport and PCC by post in 15 days. (Hmm..that's better. No more visits to this place.)

7 days Later, Checked the status on the Net. Police report awaited.

10 days Later, Police report awaited.

15 days..No change.

Don't I know how long it takes for the central govt. officials to move the file from table to table !! So, decided to wait.

20 Days passed, and I got a call on my mobile from the Head Constable of Passport Enquiry. About time! I met him at my Apts.
" Now, where is your residence proof ?"
" Submitted at Passport Office "
" Then go and ask him for the PCC. I will not do the Enquiry. "
This guy started shouting.

After going thru the documents, He signed the report and asked me for his 'FEE'. For all those who are not familar with this word 'FEE', It is nothing but a formal and blatant way of asking for a bribe. A bribe to just do his duty. Even though all the documents are perfect, all the requirements fulfilled, these guys need some moolah to move the files around.

What If I refuse ? Hmm..Let me narrate an incident. Earlier, in the passport office, I met a guy pasting his photos on a passport application and striked a converstation with him. He told me that he had applied for the passport 2 months back and the police verification had gone well too. But finally, he refused to pay bribe to the Constable and the result, the Police Report was Negative. So, He had to start all over again.

Moral of the Story: Bribe Now, or repent at leisure !!

Day 24, I found a letter at my doorstep. A notice from the passport office asking me to submit the Police Report within 8 days barring which my file would be closed. PANIC !! I called up the Constable and found out that he would submit the report that weekend. His officer would take his own time in approving it and sending it to the Passport Office. Even after eating half my wallet, these guys aren't getting the work done. If the file takes more than 8 days to move to the passport office, My Application would be closed.

Day 27, Went to the commissioner's office to see to that my file is moved. I went by 9.30 AM, the time when the office is supposed to open. The Concerned Officer walked in at 12.00PM. I should have known the punctuality of Govt. Empoloyees !! After a bit of 'persuasion', the file moved.

Day 35, Not Yet Received my PCC. Fed up, I cancelled the Application the next day and collected my Passport from the Passport Office.

35 days ... for a simple PCC. And that too, returned without service. This is the state of our New India !!

Hmm.. a long post. But couldn't resist from depicting the Dirty Face of Indian Bureaucracy in Detail.

1 Comments:

Blogger Theja said...

Leduraa PCC Application Cancel cheyinchaanu. Got back my passport, that's all.

I don't require PCC anymore rt ?

3:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home