Friday, March 10, 2006

XLRI PI : Dull, Boring and Lousy

[ Disclaimer : This Post may not make sense to a casual reader. But if you are one of those MBA aspirants prowling for some info. on the GD/PI process, go ahead, u will find enough. ]

Sometimes, weather in Hyderabad gets Crazy. As Crazy as ME.

Amidst these days of scorching sun, it suddenly started to rain. And I ended up with severe cold and a sore throat. Impatient and late, I took an auto to the railway station. By the time I reached the platform, the train was about to start. Huffing and Puffing, I got in, clambered onto my berth and thus began the soon-to-be-hopeless journey.

I spent the next morning at my friend's place and relaxed well. I got ready in the afternoon, took an auto again and reached the venue 30 minutes early. Now, XLRI does not conduct GDs. ( Good Decision, I always felt that GD is a waste of time `coz a single guy can create chaos with due diligence ). So they give the exact time slot for the PI and hence XLRI process is the shortest of all the B-Schools'. One hardly spends an hour in the process against the B-School average of half day( Many times it goes on the whole day ).

Exactly at the given time, I was called in. Let me the give the transcript of the interview this time.

------------
Legend :

P1,P2,P3 - The Panel Members
Me - Moi, Myself
() - My Body Language
[] - My Inner Voice
{} - Perceived Panel Reactions

--

Me : Good Evening Sirs.
P2 : A very good evening, please take your seat.
Me : Thanks.

[ These profs look like they just had a heavy lunch. Curse my Luck, I had to get the post-lunch slot :( ]

P3 : Tell us about Urself and Why you want to join XLRI.
[ Aaargh..Such a Boring Start ]
Me : ( With a confident smile like that in the Close-Up Ads ) I come from so and so place in Andhra Pradesh. I have done my graduation ..blah blah.. and working with ... blah blah...I need MBA to gain holistic knowledge of business functions..another blah blah.

{ P1 looking trying to concentrate on my file and P2 totally disinterested. P3 listening intently }

P3 : So, you have started in a village. What is the growth rate of your village ?
[ Huh..Village and Growth Rate !! Don't you know how rural India is faring ]
Me : It is not growing at the expected rate `coz of its proximity with two other mini-cities...

P3 : You are working in Hyderabad and recently sth interesting happened there !!
Me : Yes sir, the Fab City.
{ P2 going thru my Certificates Now }

P3 : Now, Convince your chief minister to establish the Fab City in your Village instead of Hyderabad.
[ Now What ?? How the heck am I gonna sell it ?? ]
Me : ( With the best earnest-and-serious-looking expression that I could manage ) started with Infrastructure, Land cost, water supply and rambled on and on and on..[ I really tried hard to sell and I have overdone it. I blabbered for ages and was talking utter nonsense. I really shud have cut the crap. Damn ME.]

P3 : Now How would u convince the Company ?
Me : Tonnes of Trash again...but this time I was wiser and stopped sooner.

{ P3 was totally unconvinced and looked like he was done with me. P2 was taking a brisk walk around the room. P1 took over }

P1 : What are the backward states in India....
Me : Bihar
P1 : Wait, Let me complete
[ Cool, man, why are you rushing..and these profs are from BIHAR..U IDIOT ]

P1 : And among these which three can be developed using technology and good management ?
Me : Can I think for a moment sir ( Put up an expression as If I was thinking hard, but in fact, I cudn't think of anything )
Me : Sir, Jharkhand can be developed leveraging its mineral resources, Meghalaya by developing Tourism and Tea sir and Uttaranchal [ Look at the selection, I cudn't think of any other ] by starting power projects as it has many rivers and hills, sir.
[ And now u stop saying sir all the time as if u were a call centre operative ]

P1 : What is the state of govt. in Uttaranchal.
Me : No idea sir..[ Didn't u mention that it is very stable in your above answer?? ]

P1 : What are sources of Power in India ?
Me : Crude Oil
{ P1-3, 'Is it?' kind of a surprised expression }
[ SHIT, What happened to you ]
Me : Sorry sir, it's hydel, coal and nuclear

P1 : What are their shares ?
Me : ( With a stupid embarrassed smile ) No idea.

P1 : Which Organization controls the thermal power generation ?
Me : ( With lotza Confidence ) NTPC
{ Silence. No one was speaking. }
[ Now What?? Did I Screw up again ]
Me : ( In a damage-control mode ) I dunno If there is an apex bosy but NTPC does take care of thermal power generation.

P1 : OK, Now tell me the important events that took place in AP over the last Five Years ?
Me :
1. Hitech City [ Said Cyber Towers First and noting their blank faces, rephrased it ]
2. Draught and Fall of TDP Govt.
3. TRS and its preposterous demands for a seperate state
4. Sania Mirza
5. Fab City { P3 cut me here }

P3 : Now Fab City has come to your village, right ?
Me : ( With an awkward smile ) Sir, frankly speaking it is not possible.
P2 : But didn't u say it is better in terms of Infrastructure ?
Me : Frankly speaking, there isn't any infrastructure in my village
{ An evil grin from P3 }

P2 : OK, Whatz ur rank in your class ?
Me : [ Finally .. ] University Second sir.
P2 : Hmm...Please sign the paper and you can leave.
P3 : Please send in Aarti [ Agarwal?? ;) ]

I signed and ran out.

------------

Phew.. Now those who have persisted, and read till here, would have understood how lousy the interview went. Having scored 99.54% in XAT, I had put my bets on XL, but now, Fat Chance :(

BodhiTree.. Ho gaya mera GMD.

P.S: BodhiTree is a band of XLRI Students. GMD( Gaand mein Dandaa ) is their most popular song. No Wonder..

2 Comments:

Blogger ప్రదీపు said...

FAB city ni mee vuu teesuku vellavaara Telangaana numci andhra teesuku vellavani TRS malli vudyamistundi jaagratta.

7:50 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Hi Theja,

Ive linked your experience at the XL PI on my XLRI blog.
http://kimelody.blogspot.com/

5:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home