Monday, February 13, 2006

IIT Delhi GD/PI: A Mixed Bag

[ Disclaimer : This Post may not make sense to a casual reader. But if you are one of those MBA aspirants prowling for some info. on the GD/PI process, go ahead, u will find enough. ]

Completed my IIT Delhi GD/PI too.. the second in the series.

I reached IIT Delhi the day before itself( Not bcoz I was anxious, but the air deccan flight got resheduled ). IIT Delhi was a HUGE Campus. It was a MiniCity in itself. One can easily get lost. Anyway things went fine and I ended up in my accomodation. Delhi was very cold, touching 4-5 C in early hours. Thank God, I took my Jerkin or else I wouldn't have survived to survive the interview.

Plodding along the dusty road, I reached the venue just in time. A presentation was going on about IIT Delhi. A cool one...these guys do know how to market their institute. One thing i liked about the seniors there is their sense of humour and helping attitude. There were some alumni too, and they were very keen on taking any questions we had on the course.

Then, 12 of us were sent for the group discussion. It was a conference hall with participants sitting on either side of a long table in the middle. The professor gave us the topic: "Should IIMs be privatised?". I was ruminating about the ideas when the chaos started. The people were very keen on putting forward their points that they have successfully ended up creating a fish market, where no one was heard. All along the 10 min GD, at least 3 persons were speaking at any given instance. I tried to make a few entries, but failed miserably. Three person with loud voice, agressively used their lung power to consume as much airtime as possible. And nothing much was discussed or decided upon.In fact, nothing much was heard.

The Group failed and I failed even miserably. Then we all came out and sat down waiting for the Interviews to begin. One of the guys who shouted the most and devoured almost all the allotted time, started complaining that people did not allow him to speak. And I had to resist a strong urge to punch him in the stomach.

And then I was called for the interview. No cell this time and No interests in tourism. I went in confidently and wished the three persons sitting there. The panel has three persons: 2 industry experts and 1 professor. Each one of them looked very professional.

The Interview started with "Why should we take you?" and went along very well along the lines of my career goals, work experience, problems in the industry, extra-curriculars. The persons looked like no-nonsense guys and cut me short every time I tried to blabber. They wanted precise answers and I feel that I have done well in giving them.

Overall, a very bad GD and a good PI.

Hopes on you, DMS !!

1 Comments:

Blogger Sandeep said...

In my opinion,
A management student is one who is very proficient in talking about nothing for hours, creating and grabbing opportunities(not positively) to show them up , raising stupidest questions in the world, blah, blah.....
I had to sit with them for a course on communication skills for managers and i had a impression that they are crap.(I didnt mean it for any body particular). I am thinking, how can a young talented guy like theja can take that path ?

1:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home