Wednesday, April 12, 2006

IIMB Result : A Dream Come True !!



" Congratulations! You have been selected for the PGP 2006-08 at IIM Bangalore. The official offer letter is being despatched. Please contact the IIMB admission office in case you do not receive the offer letter by April 18, 2006. To secure your seat you are required to do the needful as per instructions in the offer letter by May 8, 2006. "




I can't believe it. Someone pinch me...Aaargh!! It hurts, alright, I have done it :)

To say that I am on Cloud 9 would be an understatement. I am literally floating in the stratosphere. It took two tedious and long TOI( Transfer of Information ) sessions in office to bring me back to my feet. Slowly, it begins to sink in. And with it, a few memories unfurl..

About Two years back

I was in the final year of my Engineering. Got placed in TCS and had a GATE score of 99.48%.

It was another dull morning session, and the class was half empty. Most of my classmates have been busy mugging up wordlists, taking mock tests, applying for foreign institutes and scurrying around coaching centres. There was enough noise around with ppl exchanging their mock test scores, trading questions on synonyms and having hot debates on which institute is better. But, I was not worried about anything. My mind was elsewhere..

"So how many of u are taking CAT ? ", Our professor finally succeeded in capturing the attention of the class. Hands shot up. No, I didn't lift mine..that was a completely alien topic for me. I continued with my preoccupation.

" Theja, What about u ? "
" No sir "
" Why not ? "
" Not Interested "
" Why so ? "
" I want to stay in technical field. Not interested in Management "
( C'mon, I have enough things to worry about other than silly cats. )
" Hmm...But u should take the exam. It's good to crack it. "

I know, I know. It is good to crack it, But I don't want to. Because I know I can't !!
People are specially made for IIMs, aren't they ? I am not one of them.

Nearly 20 months back

I just enrolled for CATapult 05 batch in IMS, Pune. Walking along the MG road( Every city has one, doesn't it ? ), I sstarted recollecting the names of the B-Schools the counsellor had mentioned. IIMs, MDI, SJM, SPJIMR, NITIE ...it went on. Hmm..could I get into any one of them. No, not the IIMs .. I knew they were Mile High. Any other institute in the Top 10 would do..no no Top 15 would do.

Just 7 months back

I was looking at my mock CAT results on the website. 99%. Hmm...a definite improvement. Still there were months to go, to perfect my skills, to crack it. Yes, I can crack it !! Haven't I seen enough success in my academic life. Maybe I have what it takes. All I need is self-belief and a little more effort.

The D-Day

I came out of my centre. It was hot and I was sweating a lot. I knew I was hungry and tired. But nothing was bothering me. I didn't want to eat. Calls started coming in..No, I didn't want to speak to anyone. I felt useless, I felt helpless, above all I felt hopeless..

I ruined the only test I had put in my heart and soul for. I messed it up. I knew I could have excelled, but I simply screwed it up. I flunked, and I flunked very badly.

Was it the end of the world ? No no, It wasn't depression. Or maybe it was.

On the New Year Eve

The IIM calls are out !! So what, I am not going to get any. Anyway, for sake of formality, Let me take a look.

IIM A - Sorry
IIM C - Sorry
IIM L - Sorry

It hurt. I wasn't expecting any calls, but when a plain 'Sorry' is slammed on your face, it hurts. It hurts every time as worse as the first time.

I had enough. I closed the websites and started looking into the bugs..

My cell phone rang. It was my friend who took CAT with me. Hmm..maybe he wants to share his woes too. I answered the call and he said that I was selected for IIM B GD/PI. Hey, that was unbelievable. I checked out myself and there it was...5th April !!

A few days before the interview

I had calls from NITIE and IITB. I was euphoric. Well, all I wanted was an admission into a Top 15 institute. And there I got !! I started wallowing in the success. Totally, I forgot the upcoming GD/PI.

My only concern was to select the institute to join : NITIE or IITB ? I called up my friends who are about to complete their MBAs. And asked them as to which Institute will get me the profile of my dreams : Strategy Consultant. The answer: None. I was told that companies like McKinsey and BCG visit only A,B,C.

That implies that even after my MBA, I couldn't get a profile of my choice. I still have to compromise. Only way out is to get thru IIMB. Hmm..So the fight is not over yet.

Pulled myself together and started preparing for the Ultimate Encounter. It was tough to concentrate on different things at a time. It was tiring. But, Anything for IIMB !!

Last week, same day

I could hear my heart beat. I was just walking out of the campus. Completed my GD/PI by then.

How did it go ? I didn't know. But a small ray of hope. Maybe I could make it !!

I looked back at the building from the auto. Could I ever come back ? I didn't know If I would come back, but knew fully well that I was worthy enough to. People are not made for IIMs, they are human beings. As normal as me.

Today

I was right, IIMers are normal people like me.

Nevertheless, It feels Nice to be considered 'creme de la creme' !!

3 Comments:

Blogger SonnyBoy said...

dude u write well!! very identifiable experiences!! Good luck!

2:56 AM  
Blogger Praveen Damodhar said...

Superb post....

Very much inspiring,When u read u feel as though u urself have done something... Very much positive and practical...

Congratulations,sir!

9:15 AM  
Blogger Subu said...

Congrats... I'm preparing this year n your posts on all the gd/pi experiences r really helpful n inspiring.. thank you..

1:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home